Santorini to Crete in 2017. The complete guide.
One of the most popular ferry routes in the Greek islands is the one connecting Heraklio port in Crete to Santorini and Mykonos. The ferries operating this route also stop in the islands of Paros, Ios and some in Naxos.
For 2017, the Santorini to Crete ferry connection will start on the 7th of April and will be operated by Hellenic Seaways, SeaJets and Aegeon Pelagos. Ferry schedules from Santorini to Crete and back are published until mid-October except for the Aegeon Pelagos ones which for the moment are only published until the 25th February 2017.
Both Hellenic Seaways and SeaJets operate high speed vessels. The Aegeon Pelagos Prevelis ferry is a conventional slow one and follows a different route connecting The Athens port of Piraeus to the islands of Milos, Santorini, Anafi, Heraklio, Sitia in Crete, Kasos, Karpathos and Diafani.
Map of the Santorini to Crete, Heraklio port ferry route.
Ferry Schedules from Santorini to Heraklio port in Crete for 2017.
All below ferry schedules from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete are available for online booking via danae.travel
Santorini – Heraklio with Sea Jets
- From 07/04/2017 until 16/10/2017 daily at 17:00 with the Champion Jet 2. Arrival in Heraklio at 18:40.
Santorini – Heraklio with Hellenic Seaways
- From 07/04/2017 until 15/10/2017 daily at 17:25 with the Highspeed 7. Arrival in Heraklio at 18:50.
Santorini – Heraklio with Aegeon Pelagos
- Until 25/02/2017, every Saturday at 03:40 with the Prevelis. Arrival in Heraklio at 09:40.
Ferry Schedules from Heraklio port in Crete to Santorini for 2017.
All below ferry schedules from Heraklio port in Crete to Santorini are available for online booking via danae.travel
Heraklio – Santorini with Sea Jets
- From 07/04/2017 until 16/10/2017 daily at 08:50 with the Champion Jet 2. Arrival in Santorini at 10:35
Heraklio – Santorini with Hellenic Seaways
- From 07/04/2017 until 15/10/2017 daily at 09:00 with the Highspeed 7. Arrival in Santorini at 10:45
Heraklio – Santorini with Aegeon Pelagos
- Until 25/02/2017, every Sunday at 18:05 with the Prevelis. Arrival in Santorini at midnight.
How long is the ferry ride from Santorini to Heraklio port in Crete?
The ferries connecting Santorini to Heraklio port in Crete are all High Speed catamarans except for the Prevelis which is a slow conventional ferry. All take between 2 and 3 hours. Travel time depends on the speed, on the number of stops and of course on the weather.
Below is a list of travel times published by the ferry operators:
- The Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 7 connects Santorini to Heraklio in 1 hour 30 minutes.
- The Seajets Champion Jet 2 connects Santorini to Heraklio in 1 hour 45 minutes.
- The Aegeon Pelagos Prevelis connects Santorini to Heraklio in 6 hours.
How much is the ferry from Santorini to Crete?
Prices for 2017 ferries connecting Santorini to Crete start at 62.00 euros per person with a high speed ferry and at 26.00 euros with a conventional slow ferry. For vehicles prices start at 58.00 euros
Fares with Hellenic Seaways from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete
The Highspeed 7 afternoon ferry from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete offers 2 types of seats at the following cost:
- Economy numbered seat: 62,00 euros
- Economy table seat: 62,00 euros
- VIP numbered seat: 77,00 euros
- VIP Table Seat: 77,00 euros
Fares with Seajets from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete
The Champion Jet 2 afternoon ferry from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete offers 3 types of seats at the following cost:
- Economy (silver) numbered seat: 61,80 euros
- Business (Club) numbered seat: 69.80 euros
- Platinum numbered Seat: 84.00 euros
Fares with Aegeon Pelagos from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete
The Prevelis night ferry from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete offers both seats and cabins at the following cost:
- Economy deck / lounge: 28,00 euros
- Economy numbered seats: 30,00 euros
- Internal 2 bed cabin: 37.00 euros per bed
- Internal 4 bed cabin: 34,00 euros per bed
- External 2 bed cabin: 42,00 euros per bed.
- LUX 2 bed cabin: 102,00 euros
Which is the cheapest ferry from Athens to Santorini?
The cheapest way to travel from Santorini to Heraklio in Crete by ferry is to take the conventional slow ferry. Aegeon Pelagos offer the cheapest accommodation between 28 and 30 euros per person in economy. Both high speed ferries connecting Santorini to Crete cost pretty much the same, 61.80 for the Champion Jet 2 and 62.00 for the Highspeed 7.
Santorini Port information
Santorini’ s ferry port is called Athinios. Its a small port and it gets very busy when ferries arrive and depart. There are buses meeting the ferries to the island’s capital, Fira. There are also taxis, but not enough for everyone. The bus network in Santorini is quite good and you can fairly easily reach your hotel. Fira, the capital is the starting point for all buses. In Athinios port, there are some restaurants and travel agents.
Keep in mind that ferries, especially the high speed ones, only dock for a few minutes. You should rush your way in/out of the ferry. When arriving in Santorini, It will also help you get a sit on the bus.
There is no direct bus from the port of Santorini to Santorini airport.
Heraklio Port Information
Heraklion port is the largest port in Crete. It separates to the old enetic port and the new port which serves passenger ferries and other large vessels.There are some travel agencies, shops, cafes and restaurants within or very close around the port. All ferries arrive and depart from piers I & II. Ferry tickets can be purchased from within the port.
Heraklio Port has good passenger facilities. There is a large terminus, where passengers can wait for their ferries with WiFi and locker areas for luggage. There are plenty of parking spaces available, both for short and long term parking. There are also areas specially designated for disabled customers.
There are frequent bus schedules to and from the center of Heraklio and other destinations around town. There are also buses to the airport and of course plenty of taxis.